Catshill Junction

Catshill Junction 

Catshill Junction marks the start of the Wyrley & Essington Canal to Lichfield constructed late in the 1790's

The Wyrley and Essington Canal was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1792 for the transportation of coal from Wyrley and Essington to the north of Bloxwich into the urban centre of Wolverhampton. 

The company obtained a second Act in 1794 which authorised an extension eastwards from Birchills, passing through Pelsall to reach more collieries at Brownhills, close to Catshill Junction, and on to the site of Ogley Junction, from where it would descend through thirty locks to reach Huddlesford Junction, to the east of Lichfield.



Location

Access:
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: 8.60 Miles (14.00 Kms.)
Catshill: 0.00 Miles (0.00 Kms.)

GPS

52.64109, -1.92784

Nearby



Chester Road Bridge

Chester Road Bridge 

Chester Road is a very ancient road and thought to pre date the Romans. During construction of the Canal signs of Iron Age activity were found of the anchient settlement of Catshill




Location

Access:
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: 8.50 Miles (14.00 Kms.)
Catshill: 0.14 Miles (0.23 Kms.)

GPS

52.64113, -1.92398

Nearby



Sandhills Canal (Branch)

Sandhills Canal (Branch) 

The branch canal is now infilled and in private ownership.

See Captain Ahab's Watery Tales


Location

Access: Private property - no access
Alignment: South of canal
Huddlesford: 8.30 Miles (13.00 Kms.)
Catshill: 0.36 Miles (0.58 Kms.)

GPS

52.64249, -1.92043

Nearby



Ogley Hay Flour Mill

Ogley Hay Flour Mill 

Ogley Hay Steam flour Mill (aka Brownhills Flour Mill) thought to date from the 1840's and was equiped with 4 pairs of french grinding wheels driven by a 35HP steam engine with a Cornish boiler and used to employ 4 millers.

The superstructure was rebuilt and converted to flats now in private ownership.



Location

Access:
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: 7.80 Miles (13.00 Kms.)
Catshill: 0.83 Miles (1.30 Kms.)

GPS

52.64652, -1.92073

Nearby

The superstructure was rebuilt and converted to flats now in private ownership.


Ogley Junction

Ogley Junction 

This junction on the Wryley and Essington Canal from Catshill Junction is the point where the Anglesey Feeder was constructed in 1799 from Norton Bog (now called Chasewater Reservoir) subsequently made navigable as the Anglsey Branch in 1862 ??




Location

Access:
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: 7.30 Miles (12.00 Kms.)
Catshill: 1.40 Miles (2.20 Kms.)

GPS

52.65153, -1.91626

Nearby



Ogley Junc Iron Footbridge

Ogley Junc Iron Footbridge 

This Traditional Iron Footbridge was cast by the Horseley Iron Works and is dated 1829. This was installed in this location in approx 1862 when the Anglesey Branch was made navigable to provide a canal link to the colliery wharfs along this navigation.




Location

Access:
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: 7.30 Miles (12.00 Kms.)
Catshill: 1.40 Miles (2.20 Kms.)

GPS

52.65161, -1.91604

Nearby



Ogley Basin

Ogley Basin 

Ogley Basin provided a transshipment point at the summit level of the canal network and was used to load sand brought by a horse drawn plate way up the hill from nearby sandpits.




Location

Access:
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: 7.30 Miles (12.00 Kms.)
Catshill: 1.40 Miles (2.20 Kms.)

GPS

52.65172, -1.91574

Nearby



Old Smithy (Site Of)

From a photo of Ogley Junction taken in 1955

The Smithy located on the south end of the Ogley Footbridge and would have housed a blacksmith to maintain the canal and the horses used to pull boats and on the tramways.




Location

Access:
Alignment:
Huddlesford: -
Catshill: -

GPS

52.65168, -1.91549

Nearby



Ogley Cottages BCN 272 & 271

Ogley Cottages BCN 272 & 271 

The first of these cottages by Lock No1 was built in 1810, the second being attached for the lock keepers family. These properties were given BCN numbers when the BCN aquired the W&E Canal Company in 1840 and upgraded the full length of the canal.

These two Cottage numbers are the last two numbers in the BCN Property Register.



Location

Access: Private property - no access
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: -
Catshill: -

GPS

52.65179, -1.91482

Nearby



Locks 1 to 5 Ogley First Flight

 Aerial photo of the Ogley Locks Flight, running centre bottom to top right on the picture. Ogley Junction is at the bottom, Barracks Lane and Lock 6 right at the top.

The ground slopes some 40 feet in this area and requires a flight of locks to move boats up and down. These locks are largely intack but they are mostly infilled with soil and therefore restoration should be feasible.

By Lock 4 is the site of BCN 270 cottage. Lock 5 is visible and above ground to the west and beside Barracks Lane.



Location

Access: Private property - no access
Alignment: On canal line
Huddlesford: -
Catshill: -

GPS

52.65188, -1.91479

Nearby

By Lock 4 is the site of BCN 270 cottage. Lock 5 is visible and above ground to the west and beside Barracks Lane.