Junction on the Coventry Canal at the bottom end of the Lichfield Canal (formerly the Wyrley & Essington Canal).
The canalside Plough Inn a few metres north of Huddlesford Junction on the Coventry Canal for food and a drink.
Distance from Catshill
Distance from Huddlesford
The Stop at Huddlesford marked the end of the Wyrley and Essington canal and its junction with the Coventry Canal. What was The Stop?
There does not seem to be a lock so possibly it was a gate.
The Wyley and Essington extension from Ogley Hay to Huddlesford was built and completed by the Wyrley and Essington Canal Company in 1797. The Stop marks the junction of these two canals. Two cottages housing the Toll Collectors were built to ensure the companies got their payment.
The Coventry Canal was built by the Coventry Canal Company, formed in 1768 and started work on the Canal from Coventry to Atherstone before running out of money in 1769. It was extended down to Fazeley but the link to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Fradley was not completed until 1789 and was built by the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal Company