Lichfield Canal Heritage Towpath Trail
Points of Interest
© 2016 Lichfield & Hatherton Canals Restoration Trust
On the 1884 Ordnance Survey Map, the area is called Gallow’s Wharf, but by the 1920s it was known as St John’s Wharf.
The wharf is close to the site of the Lichfield Gallows originally erected in 1532 where the last people were hung on 1st June 1801, with three forgers receiving their punishment.
Read “The Lichfield Gallows” on Lichfield Lore
Distance from Catshill
Distance from Huddlesford
London Road Wharf - Gallows Wharf (Site of)
Photo: Site of Gallows Wharf
Photo: Old map of Gallows Wharf - see Pinterest Old Maps of Lichfield