Catshill Junction marks the start of the Wyrley & Essington Canal to Lichfield constructed late in the 1790's.
Shire Oak public House is only a short walk south along Chester Road
Distance from Catshill
Distance from Huddlesford
The Wyrley and Essington Canal was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1792 for the transportation of coal from Wyrley and Essington to the north of Bloxwich into the urban centre of Wolverhampton.
The company obtained a second Act in 1794 which authorised an extension eastwards from Birchills, passing through Pelsall to reach more collieries at Brownhills, close to Catshill Junction, and on to the site of Ogley Junction, from where it would descend through thirty locks to reach Huddlesford Junction, to the east of Lichfield.
Huddlesford Junction was effectively part of the Coventry Canal, but that section had been built by the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal in a complicated agreement to ensure that the Birmingham and Fazeley would be part of a larger network, and therefore more likely to be profitable.